Karlsruhe University of Arts and Design (HfG) is filling the following professorship as soon as possible:
Professor for Mixed Realities m/f/d (W3, 66%, 3 years up to 6 years)
We are looking for an internationally active and proven artistic personality who is positioned in the field of digital arts and at the intersection of humans and machines. This intersection is of crucial creative importance both in economic-technical terms and as a social conflict zone and surface of projections on a global scale. The call is aimed at people crossing borders and working confidently and critically with the possibilities of digital (e.g. sensor-based) interaction, data- and net-based art and composition or AI, and who have developed a critical practice in areas such as Virtual Fantasy, Game Creation and ‘Game Destruction’.
• Teaching and research in the described subject area of the professorship, especially the teaching of artistic application and critical reflection of digital techniques in the audiovisual field (2D / 3D and animation)
• Supervision of students in the media arts department as well as co-supervision of students in other diploma and master's degree programs
• Participation in the academic self-administration of the HfG
• Participation in current artistic and, if applicable, scientific third-party funding projects as well as in new applications
The other official duties are regulated in § 46 Landeshochschulgesetz (LHG) Baden-Württemberg.
You are an outstanding and internationally active individual who reflects on the transitory field of digital media in contemporary art through your own practice and through comprehensive theoretical knowledge. You have a discernible interest in exploring novel tools and methods and in collaborating on interdisciplinary projects both within and outside the HfG.
You meet the hiring requirements according to § 47 LHG Baden-Württemberg, in particular:
• Completion of a relevant university degree and/or outstanding subject-related achievements in artistic-creative work
• Special aptitude for artistic-creative work, which is usually proven by a recognized work and international professional practice
• Special pedagogical aptitude and several years of teaching experience in the subject area
• Experience in interdisciplinary cooperation
• Command of the German and English languages, both written and spoken
• Teaching of programming fundamentals as a prerequisite of digital artwork is desired
A high level of on-site presence in Karlsruhe is expected.
The professorship will be filled on the basis of a non-tariff employment contract. It is initially limited to three years and can be extended by up to three additional years.
The HfG Karlsruhe would like to increase the proportion of women in teaching and therefore particularly welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. The university is committed to increasing the cultural diversity of its faculty. Applicants with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if they are equally qualified.
Please submit your application by Sept. 24, 2023, with CV and portfolio via the online application form linked below with the keyword "Mixed Realities".
Information about the call for applications can be obtained from the Rector's Office by calling +49 (0)721 8203-2297 or by emailing .ed.ehurslrak-gfh(ta)tarotker
Information on the collection of personal data from the data subject in accordance with Article 13 DSGVO can be found on our homepage, section Vacancies
Please note that this announcement is a translation based on the original German version that is legally binding. You can find the German job vacancy here