You want to study at the Karlsruhe University of Art and Design for one or two semesters on an individual basis outside an official exchange program like Erasmus?
You do not seek a degree at the Karlsruhe University of Art and Design?
Then you should apply as a so called Freemover student.

Freemover students can apply for a study place for up to two semesters. Freemover are non-degree/non-exchange students and therefore must apply directly to the individual departments. It is possible for visiting students to take examinations and receive credits for their studies. Proof of previous studies and experience in the relevant study area is a pre-requisite.

Application process

In order to apply you need to find an academic supervisor at the Karlsruhe University of Art and Design. Typically, this will be a professor in the department of your interest.

Applications must include:

  • Letter of an academic supervisor confirming that he or she is willing to supervise you
  • Course transcript from your current university
  • Portfolio
  • Letter of motivation
  • Curriculum Vitae

Application Dates:
For the winter semester (October to February): 01 June
For the summer semester (April to Juli): 01 December

Application Address:
Staatliche Hochschule für Gestaltung Karlsruhe
International Office
Lorenzstraße 15

T +49 (0) 721 / 8203 2371

Studying at HfG

HfG Karlsruhe offers a wide spectrum of practice and theory-based courses. The courses on offer in various departments is substantial; the students have plenty of freedom in combining their curriculum and a lively exchange between individual departments emerges.

Curriculum and ECTS

The study regulations allow a one-time flexibility in building and combining their own individual curriculum. In this way, they are able to extensively decide the combination of subjects on offer at the university for themselves. Students are encouraged to inform themselves on the number of ECTS points given in the course by talking to the relevant professors, and must receive a performance record at the end of the term.

Teaching Language

The regular teaching language is German. International professors often teach in English.


Freemover students go in person to the student office within the enrolment deadline.
For your enrolment you will need the following documents:

  • Passport photo
  • Your letter of acceptance (Zulassungsbescheid)
  • Copy of your passport (with residence permit or visa which must be valid for at least six months - applies to non-EU citizens only)
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of payment of the semester contribution

Tuition fees

As of the winter semester 2017/18, international students who are not citizens of an EU/EEA country have to pay tuition fees of EUR 1,500.00 per semester. Additionally the regular semester fee of currently EUR 185,70 has to be payed.