The following professorship is available at the Karlsruhe University of Arts and Design (HfG) as soon as possible:
Professorship of Design in Visual Communication and Research m/f/d (W3, 100 %, unlimited)
The HfG Karlsruhe trains "synthetics": Artists and designers who are able to apply a wide variety of subject-specific perspectives and approaches in their practice. On the one hand, the field of communication design has become thoroughly "democratized": Digitization and automation make the production of compelling visual communications seemingly trivially easy. On the other hand, tools are becoming increasingly sophisticated, interlocking and forming interdependencies. The tension between planetary intelligence and technological omnipresence, as well as the beliefs that go along with it, are part of current and future questioning. Therefore, the field of communication design is subject to constant change and must inevitably be continuously expanded by new areas of activity and expertise. Against this background, the Department of Communication Design is looking for an internationally recognized personality with a contemporary artistic and pedagogical concept, an extensive network and significant professional and teaching experience.
• Plan and teach courses in all areas of the discipline
• Promote a diverse and inclusive vision of communication design in relation to social issues, digital cultures, as well as historical antecedents
• Willingness to work in interdisciplinary contexts, inside and outside the university
• Part of the responsibilities include academic self-governance and organization, as well as participation on university committees
• Supervision of students in all artistic and theoretical programs at the HfG in all stages of study. • Actively shaping a collaborative research and teaching culture within the university, as well as with the ZKM, partner institution of the HfG
• You set accents in the international university landscape with your own research and make it accessible by establishing extended teaching formats such as lecture series, publication series and symposia
• You cooperate with institutions outside the university and initiate, design and realize third-party funded projects
• They work closely with the workshops and studios at the HfG
• Willingness to be highly present for students on site at the HfG
Other official duties are regulated in § 46 of the Landeshochschulgesetz (LHG) Baden-Württemberg.
• You represent an outstanding artistic and discursive position within your field and have demonstrated this internationally
• You are able to work as part of a team within a flat hierarchy, mediate across departments, and shape the course of study for the long term
• You have the demonstrated ability to practice, research, teach, and co-lead interdisciplinary projects as appropriate
• Their practice and teaching reflexively engages with design, in the context of its social and cultural environments and issues
• You have extensive teaching experience and a broad range of expertise in design and teaching in artistic and cultural fields
• Desirably, you bring experience in the German higher education landscape
You fulfill the hiring requirements according to § 47 LHG, in particular:
• Completion of a relevant university degree and outstanding subject-related achievements in artistic, design and discursive practice
• Special aptitude for artistic and creative work, as a rule proven by a recognized body of work and international professional practice
• Special pedagogical aptitude and many years of teaching experience in their own field
• Proficiency in written and spoken German and English
A high level of temporal presence at the Karlsruhe location is expected.
The appointment is made in the non-pay-scale employment relationship or in the civil service relationship. The first appointment to a professorship is initially limited or probationary. Part-time employment is generally possible in individual cases.
The HfG Karlsruhe would like to increase the proportion of women among its professors and therefore particularly welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. The university is committed to increasing the cultural diversity of its faculty. Applicants with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if they are equally qualified.
Please submit your application by Sept. 24, 2023, with resume and portfolio using the online application form linked below. Information on the advertisement can be obtained from the Rector's Office by calling +49 (0)721 8203-2297 or by sending an e-mail to .ed.ehurslrak-gfh(ta)tarotker
Information on the collection of personal data from the data subject in accordance with Article 13 DSGVO can be found on our homepage, section Vacancies.
Please note that this announcement is a translation based on the original German version that is legally binding. You can find the German job vacancy here